Wednesday, May 13, 2009

GLORIFIED RICE AND A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE


A few days ago, while talking to my mother about "the old times" I asked her if she remembered making glorified rice. She said she did but had no clue how to make it any longer as it had been so long since she made it. Well, being the good son that I am, I decided to find the recipe and make it for her. Much to my delight I happened across this simple recipe and it is delicious! Mom nearly cried when I brought to her a heaping helping of my hospitality. She just loved it and I hope you do too.

Glorified Rice

3 quarts boiling water

1 1/2 cups medium grain rice

1 cup milk

dash of salt

1 1/2 pints whipping cream, lightly sweetened and whipped

1 19-ox can crushed pineapple, drained, juice or syrup reserved

1. Add rice to water and boil for 25 minutes. Drain in colander and rinse rice.

2. In covered baking dish combine cooked rice, dash of salt and 1 cup milk. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not let the rice bake dry.

3. Chill thoroughly. Combine rice with crushed pineapple plus enough of the reserved juice to moisten the rice. Fold in whipped cream and serve.

Serves 10 to 12

**Here's another idea that freshens up this delicious salad. Put in some grapes, bananas cut up and/or Mandarin orange slices. It is so good this way. I just love it!

Why not share some with your "mom" or special loved one this summer. This is a great add-on to any meal and can be served anytime.

Happy Memories
Steve and Kim

No comments: