Sunday, January 24, 2010

Coffee: a Stimulating and Aromatic Drug

A photo of a cup of coffee.Image via Wikipedia




Lets talk about coffee today. I'll admit I drink a fair amount of coffee each day but now that I've learned more about it perhaps I'll back off a little bit on my daily consumption. You might also consider it after reading the following information.

Coffee is a highly aromatic stimulant beverage prepared from roasted and ground coffee beans. Coffee beans are the seeds of the Coffea arabica or the coffea robusta plants.
Coffee is a true drug due to its caffeine content. It meets the criteria set by the World Health Organization for drug addiction:
A. It creates addiction or dependency;
B. It produces tolerance (the dose must be increased to achieve the same effect);
C. Its elimination results in abstinence syndrome;
D. Its regular use is harmful to health.

Coffee drinking raises cholesterol levels. However, this effect is eliminated when it is brewed using a paper filter. The substance that raises cholesterol is not caffeine, but rather an aromatic substance in the coffee that remains in the paper filter.

Well kids, that's your lesson for today. I hope you'll consider drinking just a little less coffee each day. I have and it feels great... well, now that the headaches have gone away that were brought on by the short withdrawal period I had when I began to drink less.

Why not try a nice fresh glass of water? It couldn't hurt, right?

Steve and Kim

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: